Media & Communication, Public Relations, Sports Marketing: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 – Friday, March 10, 2017
Fashion Application Deadline: September 11, 2016
The Office of Personal and Career Development is pleased to announce a Career Exploration Trek to New York City, New York! Students from all academic disciplines and class years are invited to immerse themselves in the vibrant world of the “Big Apple,” while learning about some of the world’s most dynamic and creative industries:
Check out the video from a previous trek:
Career Treks offer students valuable opportunities to learn about companies, industries and careers in a personal setting. Students travel to key locations across the country to engage with industry professionals, expand their networks, and increase their awareness of career possibilities.
Past site visit hosts include:
Southern Living | A + E Networks | Bloomingdales | Macy’s | Viacom (MTV) | Conde Nast (Golf Digest) | Ogilvy Public Relations | Cirque du Soleil Theatrical | Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art | Independent Filmmaker Project | BBDO | CDMiConnect | VML | Calvin Klein | Nautica | Jazz at Lincoln Center | RJ Palmer | ANN INC. | Hearst Corporation | The Jones Group | Hulu | Media Brands | Tiffany’s | Weber Shandwick | Porter Novelli | Fleishman Hillard | Edelman | NBC Sports | Major League Baseball | Wasserman Media Group
Don’t miss this opportunity to discover how your talents can impact the world!
Complete applications through Handshake by the September 11 deadline. Students must apply separately for each trek. See application links below. Selected participants will be notified on Wednesday, October 14th. Please check the OPCD website for updates. Treks have a limit of 15 students per industry.
To apply, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Handshake account.
- On the black toolbar, click on Employers and in the Employer Name field, type in Wake Forest University, then slick Search. Select Office Of Personal and Career Development.
- Click on “Jobs” below the Office of Personal and Career Development title and introduction paragraph. You will see a results page to the right of the Wake Forest University Office of Personal and Career Development name.
- Click on the trek that you are interested in; then read the description and application information.
- When you are ready to submit your resume and one-page reflection statement, upload these documents into your Handshake account, search for the Handshake trek posting, and apply.
Your application must include your resume and a reflection statement that includes an explanation of the following:
1) Why you would like to attend the trek
2) What you hope to get out of the experience
3) What perspectives or interests you will bring to the group as a whole
4) How you will use the trek experience to further your professional development upon return
5) What your experience is with the relevant industry
Students must provide their own accommodations, transportation to and from New York, travel costs throughout the city and meals. There is no charge to attend the evening networking session and hors d’oeuvres will be provided. Limited financial aid is available for this trip. Visit the Grants for Students page for more information.