Who is eligible to apply?
Wake Forest students from all majors are welcome to apply. Please be sure to adequately explain why you are interested in the trek in your cover letter, especially if your major is not or does not seem directly related to the industry or theme of the trek.
How many students can go on the treks?
A maximum of 60 Wake Forest students will be chosen from the applicant pool, 15 students per theme.
How do I apply and what should I include?
Go to Deacon Source to apply. Search New York City Career Trek to find the trek you wish to apply to. You may apply to more than one but please indicate your first choice in your reflection statement.
Your application must include your resume and a cover letter along with explanations for:
1) Why you would like to attend the trek
2) What you hope to get out of the experience
3) What perspective or interests you will bring to the group as a whole
4) How you will use the trek experience to further your professional development upon return
5) What your experience is with the relevant industry
How much does it cost?
Student participants will be responsible for their own accommodations, transportation to and from New York, transportation throughout the city during the trek and all meals (actual cost will vary depending on your originating location and whether or not you will need to fly or can drive to New York) Each student selected to participate is also responsible for a refundable $100 deposit.
There are a limited number of need-based scholarships, please contact Lori Sykes at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about scholarship availability.
What are the requirements to participate?
Students who are chosen to participate in the trek will be required to complete the following tasks:
- Pay a $100 refundable deposit; these funds will only be kept if you incur unplanned expenses during the trek or do not show up for the site visits. Deposit, waiver and emergency contact info must be turned in by the due date.
- Make all suggested edits to your resume and upload it to Deacon Source by the due date. Appointments are available to meet with a career counselor for either a 15-minute or 45-minute appointment prior to the trek.
- Attend a Career Exploration Trek workshop prior to the trek. Two times are offered: Dec. 3rd from 5:00-6:00 PM and Dec. 4th from 5:00-6:00 PM. Location is the Innovation Station in the Office of Personal and Career Development, Reynolda Hall 220.
- Complete a reflection piece and survey following the trek.
Who will be evaluating the application materials and choosing the students?
A committee of career coaches and counselors will be evaluating all applicants. Applications will be evaluated on completeness, thoughtfulness and relevancy.
When will I be notified if I was chosen to participate?
Students will be notified, via email, on Wednesday, October 29th. Students not selected will also be notified via email.
Which employers will I visit?
Employer names and descriptions will be added as they are confirmed, check the website for updates. http://career.opcd.wfu.edu/career-exploration-treks/
What should I wear?
Students should be prepared to present themselves in a professional manner at all times during the trek. Comfortable shoes and appropriate outerwear will be important since we are visiting during December. Visit the interview attire section of the OPCD website for information on professional dress.
Where will I stay during the trek?
Students are responsible for their own accommodations. We will be happy to provide travel sites that cater to students and that can be a resource. We also suggest reaching out to family and friends in the New York area to see about making arrangements.
How will I get around in the city?
Each industry will have an assigned Wake Forest staff member to lead students. They will have a detailed map, agenda and travel plan. Participants will use the subway and do a lot of walking. If you require special accommodations, please be sure to indicate that in your reflection statement.
What will be the itinerary in the city?
This information will be updated as employers confirm their participation. The exact itinerary will be shared at the mandatory orientation meetings held on Dec. 3rd and 4th.
Still have a question? Please contact Lori Sykes at email@example.com.