One of the best ways to find networking contacts is through LinkedIn. Commonly known as the “professional Facebook”, LinkedIn is a great resource to network, research companies of interest, locate informational interview contacts, and improve your personal brand. This free site opens the door to over 70 million professionals around the globe, representing 150 industries. Create an account today and begin expanding your professional network. To make the most of your LinkedIn experience, be sure to join the Wake Forest Alumni group!
As you search for networking contacts, keep these helpful tips in mind:
- Share information, ideas, resources, and contacts with others. Networking is a two way process.
- Know basic information about careers that interest you.
- Think of everyone you meet as a networking contact.
- Keep a well documented record of your contacts – how, when, details of the conversation and any follow up necessary – with our Network Tracking Tool.
Another great way to make networking contacts is through your friends and family. Talk to your parents, professors, high school teachers, and Wake Forest friends about what career paths interest you. Ask them to help you make connections with people who could tell you more about the careers that interest you.
Your LinkedIn Profile
First impressions are important and your LinkedIn profile is often the first link that occurs when Googling your name. We’ve now added LinkedIn profile reviews alongside our scheduled daily resume and cover letter reviews. Make sure you’re on-line presence matches the quality of your resume. Stop by during scheduled review hours to receive tips and advice to polish up your LinkedIn profile prior.
Fall 2012 LinkedIn profile review hours are Monday through Thursday 2 – 4 p.m and Fridays 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 – 3 p.m. Exceptions: extended hours 1 – 5 p.m. on September 17 and 18; and no reviews on September 3, October 19 and November 21 – 23. The last day of reviews for the semester will be December 7.
Wake Forest Career Connectors
To help you easily connect to alumni that can provide career and job search guidance, The Office of Personal & Career Development moderates a LinkedIn group: Wake Forest Career Connectors. By joining this group, you gain easy access to our extended career community of Wake Forest alumni who want to support you in establishing your career goals.
- Wake Forest Career Connectors want you to be successful by providing real, honest information about industry trends, employers, and relocation.
- By reaching out to Wake Forest Career Connectors, you will be developing your own network of professionals who can help you identify internship and job opportunities.
- Our Wake Forest Career Connectors will help you develop a strategy for securing an internship or full-time job.
- You will get the ability to send Wake Forest Career Connectors email messages directly through LinkedIn.
Learn more! Check out these helpful videos to learn how LinkedIn can help you throughout any stage of your career development:
What is LinkedIn and why should I join? Build your Professional Brand
Find your Career Passion Grow your Professional Network
Turn Relationships into Opportunities Nail the Interview